Sunday, December 26, 2010

Oh the Places You'll Go

Who says we haven't progressed in recent years? I write this now on the keypad of my Android phone 10,000 ft in the air on a plane somewhere between Denver and Detroit... judging by the vast nothingness below, I'd guess Kansas or Iowa. A kid is happily yelling and kicking away at my seat, and I paid a ridiculous amount to check my bag in order to get all of the gifts I told people not to get me (I'm grateful regardless) back to Michigan.

Another year is coming to a close, another Christmas passed... though this year it didn't really feel like Christmas, it just felt like hectic family time. I guess it's a good thing that anytime I come home, it's like I never left. It's weird to think. That someday we'll likely all be married and will start staying home with our own families rather than go to the parents. I think my dad will lose his mind when that day comes, I'm not sure he knows how to function on his own at times. It's nice to get to go back though and spend time with everyone, get away for a bit. I know the minute I step outside of the airport in Michigan, I'll be missing the wonky Colorado weather... 60 deg in December, with feet of snow in the mountains!

However, I've also realized that Michigan finally feels kind of like home. I'm looking forward to getting to my apartment, walking through the door where my cat will be waiting excited to see me, sleeping in my own bed, and setting my own schedule. It's like I've grown up or something! I never thought that would happen. Christina and I have had conversations about when it is that we really become adults, partly because we were trying to avoid admitting that we might be. Is it when you get your own place? Start a full time job/career? Get married? Have a kid? Own a storage unit? We never came to any conclusion other than that we weren't there yet, but more and more it feels like I'm grownup, and that's not such a bad thing.

Its not going to stop me from doing stupid things like tying a satellite dish to the back of a truck and sledding in it though...

1 comment:

  1. I realized--not so much that I'm an adult, but more that I'm no longer a young adult--the day I realized that I wasn't 25 anymore. That happened somewhere around mid-November of this year...when I was 27. :D I thought I was 17 until I turned 21...seriously. People would ask me how old I was, and I would default to 17. "Oh! No, I'm sorry...I'm not 17...I'm...um...(quick mental calculation) twenty. Yeah. I'm twenty."

    ReplyDelete